Monday, September 19, 2011

Impossible

The impossible has happened...I hope. Matthew 19:25 When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, "Then who can be saved?" 26 And looking at them Jesus said to them, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."I think our precious little Matt has been born again. John 3:4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?" 5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.All 5 lbs 9 oz of him was born of water 6 years ago, but he professed faith the other day and may have been born of spirit now too. After we were so close, just a month ago (click here for that story), I thought we'd have a while to wait. But Sandy overheard Matt telling Andrew that he became a Christian. As Matt tends to be, it was a very understated moment. Very casually, he simply explained that he prayed to God on his own and that he became a Christian.

Last week, I decided to verify this confession as I took him out for what we call special daddy time. We went to McDonalds and shared some fries. I proceeded to ask him if he died, where would he go. Matt casually answered, "Heaven." Why? Because I'm a Christian. What makes you a Christian? I believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God [John 20:31 - one of his current Awana verses].

We proceeded to talk further about the Gospel. And he clearly believes that he is a sinner that deserves the Lake of Fire but that Christ died for his sin. He understands that he is not worthy of heaven and cannot do anything good enough to get there. He trusts in Christ completely. He understands that he needs to believe in faith every day and continue to repent for his sins.

As a father, this experience was very different than my talks with Andrew (click here for that story). It seems to fit Matt's personality though. But Matt is so young that I am very hesitant to even believe it. At the same time, God is the one who saves, and Matt definitely understands the Gospel. Who am I to declare that he is too young to be born again?

So with very cautious optimism, I will do my best to nurture what I hope is genuine faith. God will bear fruit in keeping with repentance whether a soul is 6 or 66 years-old. I trust in God's power to save not in Matt's confession. Praise God that He is mighty to save.

No comments: