Thursday, September 8, 2011

Albuquerque

For those of you have not heard, we will be moving to Albuquerque, NM at the end of October / early November. By the grace of God, I will be the next pastor of Alameda Bible Church. Many of you know that I have never desired to be the preaching / senior pastor of a church or are simply wondering how this came about. Here is my explanation.

It all started a little less than a year ago when 2 pastor friends of mine who don't know each other, each told me at different times that I should be a senior pastor. Not that I could be or do I want to be, but that I should be. One friend explained that I have spiritual gifts that should be utilized in that capacity. The other explained that I think and talk about the things a senior pastor thinks about.

You see I love to think and talk about ministry in the church. I love to explore and ask - how can we improve as a church? How can we better make disciples? How can we better shepherd? How can we glorify God more? I love to evaluate and analyze our church to formulate better ministry goals. I love to look back and critically assess the past in order to improve upon the future. I relentlessly think about and pursue a more biblically faithful methodology.

And it became clear after months of thought, prayer and counsel, that this was the direction for me. I wasn't sure if anyone would want me or if God would open a door for me that was the right fit. But by His sovereign providence, God opened the door to a church that I think will be a great fit and allow me greater ministry opportunity especially through the preaching and teaching of God's Word.

So I am surprised that after almost 20 years of pursuing and participating in ministry, I am about to fill a role, I never saw myself doing. It is exciting and humbling at the same time. I am definitely sad to leave our church in Kansas. We have loved our family in Christ here dearly and have been loved in return. I have been so blessed to serve alongside so many gifted, faithful and fun brothers and sisters in Christ. But I hope that our relationships will continue in the years to come and forevermore in heaven.

No comments: