Friday, October 15, 2010

You can't win them all...

I've always wanted to decorate my front entrance area with lots and lots of pumpkins during the fall but I could never get myself to spend that much on a temporary decoration. I also thought it might be a nice neighborly gesture to pass them out to neighbors to build relationships. So, I thought I'd grow a bunch of pumpkins this year to decorate with.
Started out fine, even in the intense heat of our hot and dry summer.

I got lots and lots of beautiful flowers but no squash. I'm guessing it's because I didn't have both male and female flowers. I initially had 2 more vines but they were destroyed by squash bugs. I'm guessing if they had survived, I might've fulfilled my dream of having pumpkins galore. Oh well, there's always next year!

We're off to the half marathon festivities later today. We'll post pictures of how it went soon!

No comments: