Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mid-year update

I'm a little late for the mid-year update, but it's been a busy July. I also want to do a post with some reflections on life here in Kansas as a pastor as I just hit my 2 year anniversary. That will one come when I get some time to really consider it though I have the seeds of a few thoughts germinating.

But back to my 2010 goals (for the last quarterly update click here) which are posted on the sidebar to the right:

Goal #1 - Read 16 books
  • I can't believe it, but I'm done. I have re-read 2 books, read 1 book on preaching, 2 biographies and am on #3, 2 on marriage, 2 on parenting, 1 history, 1 Puritan, 1 on worship and some miscellaneous ones. I think the numbers show that a lot of my emphasis this first half of the year has been on marriage and parenting - they are so closely related. I am in the middle of teaching a parenting class which has been really exciting and fun for me. A lot of parenting thoughts that I have chewing on for the past few years are crystallizing as I teach this class. We'll see where I end up on books for the year, but I hope I can make it past 20.
Goal #2 - Run the KC Half-Marathon in under 2 hours
  • It's getting close. I'm only 11 weeks away. I've got my training chart up on the wall and am on track...so far. It's so hot and hard to run, but I'm getting excited! I just ran 5 miles last week and felt great. At my next update, I should only be 2 weeks away from running it.
Goal #3 - Read through the Bible
  • I just finished Psalm 90 and am at the end of Romans. I'm still about 10 days ahead of schedule and if anything, feeling like I should / could read more. After finishing the biography on George Muller and preaching 2 sermons on loving God's Word, I have already decided that I will read through the Bible twice next year. I want and need more of God's precious Word!
Goal #4 - Memorize 12 new Bible passages
  • All caught up! I'm back on track with this one. Although I must admit, out all of my goals this one has been the toughest to stay motivated. I used to love memorizing so much more, but now it feels like all I do is review, review, review. I think it's good to keep pushing myself in this area though. Hopefully, I'll fight through this and it'll become more joyful soon.
Not a bad mid-year update. 1 down and 3 are on track - praise God!

No comments: