Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Boy Who Could Fly

Matt's been fascinated with superheroes and will not give up on the idea that he can fly. He's tried before unsuccessfully but he's not yet convinced that it can't be done. So today he made another attempt. He made wings for himself and I helped tape them on his back. The rest of the story goes like this:Matt: Mom, can I go outside?
Mom: Why?
Matt: So I can try to fly. (After all, now he has wings and it's very windy outside today, the conditions are perfect!)

Goes outside and jumps off the front steps. No luck. Comes back in.

Mom: How did it go? Did you fly?
Matt: No, I need my cape (very seriously and confidently).

Goes and gets his cape on and tells me he's going back out again. Jumps off the steps again. Same result. Comes back in.

Mom: Did you fly?
Matt: No. I need to make more wings and tape them on my hands. (Then proceeds to demonstrate how the wings on his hands will help with his flight. Again, very confident that it will work once the adjustment is made.)

Unfortunately at that point it was dinner time so he did not have time to make the additional wings to tape to the back of his hands. Tomorrow, I'm sure he'll be out there again flying. I love this boy!

No comments: