Friday, December 30, 2011

#25 - The Afghan Campaign

I am enjoying our Christmas break and decided to do some light reading. Now that I am studying so much more intensely preparing for sermons, my reading diet needs to change.I managed to squeeze in one more book for the year (25 wa-hoo!) with Steven Pressfield's The Afghan Campaign. It's a historical fiction set in Alexander the Great's conquest of Afghanistan. It's not exactly kid friendly as it does describe war in some detail. But it was a fascinating read. It was hard to tell when the history ended and the fiction began.

After reading so many books about war, I am starting to grasp the brutality and horror of war, at least conceptually. War seems to be one of the worst representations of the sinfulness of mankind made manifest. I am so thankful our soldiers who sacrifice so much to protect our nation and our freedom.

No comments: