Sunday, November 13, 2011

My first Sunday

Today I preached my first Sunday morning sermon, and as a last minute surprise, I got to officiate my first funeral service in the evening. I don't know what I imagined my first Sunday to be like, but I know I didn't imagine this. I always wanted to be a pastor but never in my life did I think I would be the one preaching sermons and officiating funerals.

For several weeks, I had been contemplating what I would preach and say for my first sermon. At the time, I thought it was going to be a big deal. After all, this was my first sermon as "the" pastor. But after witnessing Pastor Bicker's last sermon which was probably his 2,000th or so sermon at just this church, I came to realize I was having delusions of grandeur...again. Anyone can preach 1 sermon and start into pastoral ministry. But by the grace of God, I hope I can be faithful to preach His Word with passion and accuracy for my 2,000th sermon too. So this was a good morning to contemplate my insignificance and strive for the long term.

Also, with all of the major transitions in life the last couple of weeks, let's just say, I haven't been at my spiritual finest. As a pastor, it is easy for me to feel hypocritical going up in front of others and preaching. I had a great opportunity to cast myself upon the cross of Christ again, knowing that I have nothing good to offer God but for His grace in my life. But the thought struck me, I still have nothing good to offer God even when I don't feel like a hypocrite and when I have had a good week spiritually (at least in my eyes). Regardless of my thoughts and feelings of the past week, I need to trust in the Gospel daily for my righteousness and my service to Him.

Preaching a message at a funeral is usually not something people dream of doing. I think up until a few years ago, it was probably one of the last things I wanted to do. I knew this day would come, but I was surprised that it came so quickly, on my first Sunday preaching in fact. The church was packed too - standing room only. Most of the people were not from our church, and I didn't know how many, if any, were believers.

I don't think I've ever preached a Gospel message to so many people in that type of situation. As I think back upon this evening, I am surprised that I wasn't nervous at all. Usually, in a new situation with new people, I have trouble feeling comfortable. I am so thankful to God for being so kind to me today. What a great way to start here in ABQ. Praise God!

No comments: