Friday, November 4, 2011

Don't try this at home

We've moved so many times that I can't keep track any more. I think we're at 11 times in 14 years of marriage. We've moved across the country and across the parking lot. We've rented the truck and hired movers. We've packed ourselves and hired packers. I've also helped dozens of friends move too. Needless to say, I'm no stranger to moving.

Yet for some reason, this move has been the hardest of them all. Maybe it was arriving on Sat night and starting all our kids at a new school on Monday. Maybe it was moving from a small town where everything is 5 minutes away to figuring out how things work in a city of about a million people. Maybe it's that this is the 11th move and Sandy and I are too old for this. :)

God blessed us with a wonderful send off from our previous church in KS with encouragement, meals, gifts and help. He also blessed us with a wonderful reception from our new church in ABQ with hospitality, encouragement, meals, help unpacking and a wonderfully renovated parsonage. And when I think about it, we are very much moved in and almost settled into our new place in only 4 days. We've found everything that we packed away except for Sandy's study Bible. The boys and girl are adjusting very well to their new school. I really couldn't ask for more.

But unfortunately, I really am a wicked sinner and I do want more. I want internet access at my house. I want to know where everything is in the new house. I want to know how to get everywhere in the area. I want to settle into my office and work and live as if I had worked and lived here all my life.

I was convicted this morning that I have been letting the pressure of getting settled, getting ready for family coming tomorrow and getting ready to preach next week rob me of the joy of my salvation. I have been focusing on what I need to have and do to get ready for next week rather than on the truth that God is good and does good, always...no matter what my circumstances are.

So while I wouldn't wish a move on anyone. If you do go through it, I hope that God uses it to transform your heart and increase your dependence on our glorious Savior as He has for me.Thanks Beverly and Glenn for all of your hospitality and help! It was truly a fabulous blessing from God!

No comments: