Sunday, November 20, 2011

Birthday thoughts

Today is my birthday. I like celebrating my birthday because I am 1 year closer to Jesus! I also like getting older because most people think I am younger than I am. As a man who is close to 40, it is challenging to be dismissed simply because "you are young." My pride really bucks against that, and instead I need to humbly trust in the greatness of God to accomplish His good purposes through it. I have sought to take 1 Tim 4:12 to heart - Let no one look down on your youthfulness but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example to all.

I really should enjoy the fact that some people think I am in my 20's although doing the math, that would mean I would have been a teen father. And with my less than vibrant head of hair, I don't understand how people could think I am so young. But really, it's one more opportunity for me to decrease and Christ to increase in my life.
We started celebrating a little early with a yummy birthday dinner last night. My wonderful wife grilled me some fabulous rib eye steak and some of my favorite foods.The boys and girl made me some cards and gave me some presents - one gave me 6 cents, another 12 cents. Child labor doesn't pay what it used to...We couldn't quite manage a decent picture where everyone's eyes are open and looking at the camera. But somehow, the crazy picture always turns out fine - why is that?

I'm feeling a bit under the weather today, some kind of head cold and congestion. So I'm not having the wild and crazy birthday I usually have. :) But I got to preach God's Word on my birthday this morning, celebrate with my beautiful wife and the always entertaining boys and girl, and worship with my new church family. That makes it a pretty great day.

No comments: