Saturday, October 17, 2009

1 Peter 4:8

Don't ask. I'm not sure why he went with the hood. But I've noticed that Andrew rarely says a verse the same way twice.

And yes, he now knows what "fervent" and "multitude" mean.

By the grace of God, Andrew has now memorized 30 passages of Scripture, 13 this year so far. We practice them all on a semi-regular basis and refer to many of them often in the course of life. On top of that, he's memorized many Awana verses though we don't practice all of those. This year, I plan on adding some of those to his "keepers."

It is amazing to see God's Word in action in his life. During certain times of correction, Andrew (like me and I'm sure many of us) will not want to talk about whatever has just happened. But I'll ask him to quote from some of the passages he has memorized that are appropriate to the situation. Then to literally see God's Word soften his heart right before my eyes has been absolutely amazing. Whereas our discussion was going no where, God's Word opened a path right to his heart. God's Word is truly living and active.

Many of the things I do as a parent, do not produce much in terms of immediate results. I trust that they will have a long term impact as I follow biblical principles. However, memorizing Scripture has got to be one of the few exceptions. The results are quick and lasting as well. I feel that having my children memorize God's Word has been one of the most fruitful things I have done as a parent. And it doesn't hurt that it increases his vocabulary!

No comments: