Monday, April 2, 2012

1st Quarter Update

Can you believe that we're already in April? Man, this year is going fast, again. Life truly is a vapor. As is my habit, I like to give a status update on my goals for the year. I didn't really outline my goals for 2012, but here is my recap for my goals for 2011.

For 2012, my goals are very similar. I have settled into a groove that works for me in a lot of ways. These aren't all of my goals as I have more personal goals, goals as a husband and goals as a father. But here are 4 that I like to track through the blog:

1. Read through the Bible
  • Technically, I'm reading through the NT, Psalms and Proverbs twice and the rest of the Bible once. I've finished Psalms and Proverbs and am in Hebrews right now. The Bible reading program is going well. I am reading at a much slower pace than last year (read through the Bible twice which was about 7 chapters a day), and I like it a lot. I'm able to read through the study notes and think more about what I am reading. I even re-read texts too. One thing I did this year in drawing up my reading plan was to divide reading sections into their more natural book divisions or thematic sections. This is helpful too.
2. Memorize Philippians 1 & 2
  • Philippians chapter 1 is 30 verses long. I am currently at v.24. It's good to be ahead of schedule. If I can keep up this pace, I may go for chapter 3 this year too.

3. Run the Duke City Half-Marathon in under 2 hours

  • This half-marathon is in ABQ on Oct 21 so I have some time. My main goal is to be able to run 4 miles at a 9 minute mile pace by July when my training really starts. Right now, I'm at about a 9:10 pace. Real close. I've also run 6 miles without a problem so I am in good shape right now. Ahead of schedule in this one too!

4. Read 20 books

  • So far I've finished 9 books this year. I am surprised at how many I've read. I guess I have adjusted to the studying load that was a tad overwhelming at the end of last year. I can't believe how far ahead of schedule I am on this one too.

Going into this year, I knew the transition to a new ministry and a new church would be difficult so I purposely cut back my goals. And I won't sugarcoat it, the transition has been hard in a few different ways. But God has been sovereignly using them for my holiness and for my good. He has been good. Surprisingly though, they haven't affected most of my personal goals so far.

No comments: