Thursday, February 2, 2012

ABQ Thoughts

We have now been in ABQ for 3 months! Wa-hoo! I definitely don't have a feel for the land just yet, but there's a lot to see.Here are some random thoughts about my first 3 months here.
  • I am very surprised at how comfortable life is here. Considering we have never lived in the SW and hardly even visited, considering ABQ is a very different place than anywhere else we've lived (and we've lived in quite a few places), considering we have not been part of a smaller church with such a long history, considering our kids have not all been in school at the same time, considering we knew no one coming in, things are very comfortable all around - home, church, city, school. God has given us an amazing comfort level here very quickly.
  • I really appreciate the weather. It is so steady. I love that all of January was basically 50 degrees give or take 5 degrees. We're in a cold spell right now, high 40's. We're headed for a heat wave next week, high 50's. It hardly changes. And it's always sunny. I guess some people like the variety, but I think the temperate climate is awesome.
  • I am very happy with how much my kids like their new school. At first, I have to admit, it was tough. I think moving to a new school and a new city with a new church was super tough on them. So they struggled. But by the grace of God, they love it now. And for such a small school, it has a lot of activities and opportunities for them. I am pleasantly surprised. Sandy and I were planning on homeschooling our kids for a lot longer, but God has shifted our plans, and I am glad He did.
  • I like ABQ. It is the perfect size city for me. It is big enough to have mostly everything we are interested in. Yet, it is so easy to get around. Every time we go somewhere, I usually think, "Wow. We got here a lot faster than I thought we would." It is fun to explore new foods and new places too. We really enjoy that. However, my one beef with ABQ right now is this - we can't find a good Chinese restaurant. What city doesn't have at least 1 good Chinese place?
  • Our church. After 3+ years, loving and serving our old church, I was a little hesitant in thinking about how this would work out at our new church. We really gave our hearts out to the people and built some fabulous friendships in Christ with our church family there. How could we just leave that and pick up from scratch at a new church? I compare this to having your 2nd child. Do you remember that? When we had Andrew and Sandy was pregnant with Matthew, I wondered, "How could we ever love another child as much as we love Andrew? Would we love Andrew less so that we could love Matt?" But as all of you parents with 2 or more children understand, God just gives you a heart to love more than you ever knew you could. It's the same way with our new church family at Alameda.
  • I am very thankful for our new church family. We have been so well received. So well cared for. So encouraged not just personally but by the faith in Christ of so many believers. I love visiting our senior saints and shut-ins. I get so encouraged hearing the stories of God working in so many different ways through the decades in their lives. I really am enjoying preaching more than I thought I ever would too. I am learning a lot and enjoying both the successes and the challenges. I have really appreciated joining the leadership team here too. They have a real steady and calming leadership style.

All in all, it's been a great 3 months. I am very excited that God brought us here. I never would have picked it or imagined it. But God's ways are truly so much higher than our ways in every way. I am curious what the future has in store. You know me, always planning and looking ahead.

No comments: