Wednesday, February 15, 2012

#6 - Memoir and Remains of the Rev. Robert McCheyne by McCheyne and Bonar

After what felt like years but was probably more like a year, I finally finished Memoir and Remains of the Rev. Robert McCheyne by McCheyne and Andrew Bonar. McCheyne was a well esteemed Scottish pastor who died at the age of 29. As you can guess, this wasn't my favorite book of the year. I had heard that it was a great book along the lines of The Diary of David Brainerd which if you have not read, you must.And this is not to disparage Mr. McCheyne. From what little I could tell, he did seem to be a kindred spirit to David Brainerd. The introduction well states, "O if all the Pastors of our Church, or a large portion of them, were such as McCheyne, as dead to the world as he was; as full of sanctified unceasing ardour to do good to the souls of men; as watchful to instruct and edify the young and old; as much like Christ in all their habits and efforts - what a different aspect would our portion of the religious community wear? How much more elevate would be the eloquence of our pulpits!"

Thus, lies the problem. Instead of letting McCheyne speak for himself in all his ardour, zeal and passion for the Lord, Mr. Bonar spent more time describing the things McCheyne did and who he was didn't shine as bright as he could have.

Here are a few observations about McCheyne. First, he was a humble man who truly compared himself to the greatness of God.
  • Pray for me, that I may be holier and wise - less like myself, and more like my heavenly Master; that I may not regard my life, if so be I may finish my course with joy. This day eleven years ago, I lost my loved and loving brother, and began to seek a Brother who cannot die.
  • Deep penitence, not unmixed with tears. I never before saw myself so vile, so useless, so poor, and, above all, so ungrateful. May these tears be the pledges of my self-dedication.
  • But perhaps, my old sins are too fearful, and my unbelief too glaring. Nay; I come to Christ not although I am a sinner, but just because I am a sinner, even the chief.
  • O! For true, unfeigned humility! I know I have cause to be humble; and yet I do not know one half of that cause. I know I am proud; and yet I do not know the half of that pride.
  • I am persuaded that I ought to study more my own weakness. I ought to have a number of Scriptures ready to be meditated on, such as Romans 7, John 15, to convince me that I am a helpless worm.
  • Some tears; yet I fear some like the messenger, not the message; and I fear I am so vain as to love that love. Lord, let it not be so. Perish my honour, but let Thine be exalted forever.

Second, because of his accurate view of himself, McCheyne truly prized Christ.

  • Lord wean me from my sins, from my cares, and from this passing world. May Christ be all in all to me.
  • I must never think a sin too small to need immediate application to the blood of Christ. If I put away a good conscience, concerning faith I made shipwreck. I must never think my sins too great, too aggravated, too presumptuous - as when done on my knees, or in preaching, or by a dying bed, or during dangerous illness - to hinder me from fleeing to Christ.
  • If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet the distance makes not difference; he is praying for us.
  • When I look into my wickedness, it looks like an abyss infinitely deep, and yet it seems to me that my conviction of sin is exceedingly small and faint. Why do you wish me to have such a discovery of my lost condition? I answer, that you may be broken off from all schemes of self-righteousness; that you may never look into your poor guilty soul to recommend you to God; and that you may joyfully accept of the Lord Jesus Christ who obeyed and died for sinners.
  • Let every new sight of your wicked heart, and every new wave of trouble, drive your soul to hide in him, the Rock of your Salvation. There is no true peace but in a present hold of the Lord our righteousness.

Third, he was a man of humble, integrity who sought personal holiness.

  • It was noticed long ago that men will give you leave to preach against their sins as much as you will, if so be you will but be friendly with them when you have done, and talk as they do, live as they live, and be indifferent with them in your conference. How much otherwise it was with Mr. McCheyne, all who knew him are witnesses!
  • Two things he seems never to have ceased from - the cultivation of personal holiness, and the most anxious efforts to save souls.
  • Satan often tempts me to go as near to temptation as possible, without committing the sin. This is fearful - tempting God and grieving the Holy Ghost. It is a deep-laid plot of Satan.

Lastly, he was a true shepherd who loved his flock.

  • His visits to friends were times when he sought to do good to their souls; and never was he satisfied unless he could guide the conversation to bear upon the things of eternity. When he could not do so, he generally remained silent.
  • All joys of this world are short and fading - they reach not beyond the dark boundary of the grave; but to rejoice over those whom the Lord has given me out of a perishing world - this is joy which God himself shares, and which reaches into the light of eternity. Ye are my joy and crown. In like manner, there is no sorrow like the sorrow of the pastor who has to weep over a backsliding people.

There were many good and deep thoughts in this book. But it was difficult to mine them. If you are looking for a challenge, this book has it for you.

No comments: