Monday, March 15, 2010

#5 - The Treasure Principle

Unfortunately, I'm still not well. However, I have made significant improvement in the last 2 days. I think, by the grace of God, I have turned the proverbial corner and am on the upswing.

One of the benefits of this sickness, was that it afforded me time to read. So I managed to finish The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn. For those of you who have read this book, and it's a re-read for me, you know that this is not much of an accomplishment as it is only 100 some pages with small pages on top of that!

However, what it lacks in volume, it more than makes up for in biblical depth. In fact, this little book may be more challenging than any other book I have ever read. What other book literally asks you to put your money where your mouth is and make significant changes in your giving habits for your eternal good?

The Treasure Principle is quite simple - "You can't take it with you - but you can send it on ahead." Here are a few quotes:
  • 15 percent of everything Christ said relates to this topic - more than His teachings on heaven and hell combined. Why did Jeus put such an emphasis on money and possessions? Because there's a fundamental connection between our spiritual lives and how we think about and handle money. We may try and divorce our faith and finances, but God sees them as inseperable.
  • Consider what Jesus is saying: 'Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth.' Why not? Because earthly treasures are bad? No. Because they won't last...But when Jesus warns us not to store up treasures on earth, it's not just because wealth might be lost; it's because wealth will always be lost. Either it leaves us while we live, or we leave it when we die. No exceptions.
  • The more we give, the more we delight in our giving - and the more God delights in us. Our giving pleases us. But more importantly, it pleases God.
  • Giving isn't a luxury of the rich. It's a privilege of the poor. I've discovered that impoverished Christians find no greater joy than in giving...these early Christians were dirt poor but came up with every reason they could to give. They begged for the privilege of giving! What a contrast to us, who have much more than they had but manage to come up with endless justifications for not giving!
  • Many Christians dread the thought of leaving this world. Why? Because so many have stored up their treasures on earth, not heaven. Each day brings us closer to death. If your treasures are on earth, that means each day bring you closer to losing your treasures.
  • Money leads; hearts follow. I've heard people say, 'I want more of a heart for missions.' I always respond, 'Jesus tells you exactly how to get it. Put your money in missions - and in your church and the poor - your heart will follow.' Do you wish you cared more about eternal things? Then reallocate some of your money, maybe most of your money, from temporal things to eternal things. Watch what happens.
  • The act of giving is a vivid reminder that it's all about God, not about us. It's saying I am not the point. He is the point. He does not exist for me. I exist for Him. God's money has a higher purpose than my affluence. Giving is a joyful surrender to a greater person and a greater agenda. Giving affirms Christ's lordship. It dethrones me and exalts Him. It breaks the chains of mammon that would enslave me.

If you want to avoid the possibilty of change in your life, DON'T read this book. If you want to maintain the status quo in your life, DON'T read this book. But if you want to entertain the possibility that you love the things of this world more than you should, read this book. If you want to challenge yourself to give more and enjoy everything that comes with that, read this book.

I personally felt that lately, I had started to become too attached to worldly things rather than eternal things and that I needed to re-read this book. I was not feeling as generous and joyful in my giving as before. It was well worth it - I highly recommend this book. Maybe it's time for you to read or re-read it too.

2 comments:

dustin sauder said...

our entire church read this together 2 years ago! good stuff.

Daddy said...

I really like how your church coordinates its teaching so well. I think that's a great way to learn - together as a Body.