Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Daddy, I'm scared...

Normally, that phrase engenders my fatherly protective instincts for my sweet, precious, one and only baby girl but NOT AT 4AM! This morning, I woke up to a concerned and worried little 3 year-old who was afraid of the dark. It was a great opportunity to point her to Christ, to review Isa 41:10, to apply the wonderful doctrine of God's omnipresence, omnipotence to protect her and His gracious love to care for her in this scary time and to pray with her. I just wished it wasn't at 4am.

Unfortunately, after taking advantage of this teachable moment, I couldn't get back to sleep. Before I had kids, I didn't sleep that well. My sleeping (or lack thereof) became worse with each child. If we have any more kids, I may never sleep again! When I talk to parents with older children, they don't seem to remember these days. I hope that someday I too will forget how tired I am. It is a joy and blessing to have these precious children, but with feedings, nightmares, sickness, random crying, bloody noses, potty training, and my own small bladder, it sure is tiring to be getting up at least once or twice a night for the last 7 years!Although her strength is not sleeping, Emery does say the funniest things. I was working on a small project with the toilet which finished with surprising ease when she stopped by to watch. I told her it was a piece of cake to which she peered intently into the toilet bowl and said, "There's cake inside there?"

No comments: