Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

First off, Happy Father's Day to my dad and to my father in law! To both our dads, we thank God for you and know that God knew exactly what kind of a dad would be best for us and that was YOU! Praise God for his wisdom!
We had a small celebration here at our house honoring Peter. I let Peter decide on tonight's menu and he chose steak,(the kids and I had chicken) potato salad, and creamed spinach. In addition I roasted beets and put a dressing on them and grilled up squash and peppers with the steaks knowing that he really likes a lot of veggies on his plate and grilled ones are some of his favorite. The kids set the table in our patio room since dad really likes it out there and we had a good time eating. I asked the kids a series of questions that each got to answer about their dad and we got a few fun answers.
Q: What does daddy do at work?
A: (from Matt) "He gives out hugs." Turns out he was confused as to what we were asking.
A: (from Andrew) "He plays the guitar whenever he has free time."
A: (from Ems) "I don't know. He's works on the computer."
Q: When you grow up what thing about dad do you want to emulate?
A: (From Andrew) "I want to be a pastor! The same kind as dad, an equipping pastor." Why? "Because you get to be in charge of VBS and Awana!" You know, all the fun stuff. :)
Q: What is your favorite thing about your dad?
A: (from all) "He's silly and he plays with us!"
Eventually we sat down for dessert and gave him his gifts. The kids have been doing yard work for a half hour each morning that the weather and schedule permits, (and believe me, I WORK them!) and earning money to save up for a father's day present. In the end Peter got a book by, the recently deceased, Coach John Wooden of UCLA. The picture was a gift from Matthew for Peter. He worked for about 2 days drawing that picture (there's more on the back), taking care of every meticulous detail.
Peter is gone right now and doesn't know that I am blogging but I have to say that Peter has got to be one of the most amazing dads around. I knew he would be a good father when I met, dated and married him. I had seen him with children (he was a children's pastor when we met and I also saw how great he was with his niece and nephew as infants) so I had an inkling of how good a father he might be but he has exceeded my own expectations. Exceeded them by A LOT! Like everything else in his life he puts in 110% of his effort into fatherhood. I praise God for what a wonderful father Peter is to our children and thank Him for that regularly. Our children are incredibly blessed to have him as their daddy. Happy Father's Day honey!

No comments: