Wednesday, June 23, 2010

#14 - A Game Plan for Life

I got this book for Father's Day last Sunday and somehow, I finished it by Tue. I had a couple of sleepless nights and the book was a short and easy read. But I think I've turned into a bit of bookworm nerd somehow since moving to Kansas.
The book was a lot of fun to read. It focuses on the idea that everyone should be mentored and at the same time mentor others. It has a lot of great stories and quotes from Wooden. It focuses on 7 mentors in his life and 7 people who consider him a mentor. Here are a few quotes:
  • A large part of using time efficiently is creating a clear sense of expectations...players tend to work harder throughout practice when they know what is expected of them, because they know what is expected of them, because they know what they are supposed to be doing and what the reason is behind it. In this manner, organization can be a way to create not just efficiency but also motivation.
  • Athletes play better when they feel connected to their team. An organized classroom, practice, or office can be one of the first steps toward developing this bond. A well-ordered atmosphere with clear goals can establish a positive dynamic that is hard to shake.
  • His organization didn't make him less personable or more removed; it just made me feel that my time was valued and my effort served a purpose.
  • Never mistake activity for achievement!
  • Be quick without hurrying
  • Failing to prepare is preparing to fail
  • The worst things you can do for the ones you love are the things they could and should do for themselves
  • Discipline yourself and others won't have to
Wooden seemed to be an amazing man in many ways. Being an organizational guy, I loved his organizational efficiency. He applied these principles to a basketball team. I am trying to apply them to a church. And I loved that he did it for a greater purpose and not as an end in and of itself. Too many organized people seem to strive after it for selfish aims of control. He appeared to be a man of great integrity.

The late John Wooden recently passed away and I sure hope he is in glory with Jesus right now. He talked about having faith in Jesus in the book, but the one thing that didn't sit well with me is how he thought that anyone could believe whatever they wanted. He felt that he needed to respect everyone's beliefs and that he shouldn't try to tell others about his beliefs.

Since Jesus commanded His followers to "preach the Gospel to all nations" and that He alone was "the way, the truth and the life," it seems hard to reconcile what Wooden wrote with what the Bible says. However, I am interested in reading more of Wooden, especially about his famous Pyramid of Success, as this was the first book of his I have ever read.

No comments: