Friday, October 24, 2008

Are you a good person?

What makes a person good? That's a tough question. Let's try something easier - What makes a person bad? A person who kills, steals, gets drunk, does drugs, the list could go on and on, right? But Jesus said something a little different in Mark 7:15 - "there is nothing outside the man which going into him can defile him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man."

Jesus taught something different from every religion - the exterior doesn't matter. The problem is not on the outside but on the inside of every person. It's not what you do, it's who you are. He goes on to say in Mark 7:20-22 - "That which proceeds out of the man, that is what defiles the man. 21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, 22 deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness."

We sin because we are sinners. We do bad things because we are bad. Even Christians sin, as the power of sin is broken through faith in Christ alone but the presence of sin continues on until Jesus returns. I too easily forget that I still live in this body of sin and that my wicked heart wages war against my regenerate soul.

But Paul Tripp gives some good advice for us believers. We need to remember that we can't do it alone. "...personal insight is the product of community. I need you in order to really see and know myself. Otherwise, I will listen to my own arguments, believe my own lies, and buy into my own delusions. My self-perception is as accurate as a carnival mirror."

So he outlines 2 ways to overcome our self-delusional tendencies and create that Christlike community: "First, we need the loving courage of honesty. We need to love others more than we love ourselves, and so, with humble, patient love, help them to see what they need to see. Second, we need the thankful humility of approachability. We need to forsake defensiveness, be thankful that God has surrounded us with help, and be ready to receive it - every day!"

No comments: