Thursday, October 30, 2008

2-0

80 more to go, Lakers' games that is. The season started off magnificently with 2 wins in the first 2 games of the season. But don't worry, God has shown me over the past 20 years of my life how big an idol sports can be. So I plan to keep my love for the Lakers waaaaay down on the list of eternal priorities. But what is a healthy balance of following sports as a hobby and loving the Lord your God with all your heart? I guess it's up to each individual. But one of the tangible ways I check myself is to make sure that it doesn't get in the way of my higher priorities of serving God and my family.

I also need to make sure that I don't pass on this idol to my children. While it's a ton of fun to watch basketball now with Andrew (for the first time), I definitely don't want him to be just like me in this respect.

And I guess another great question is - Can you give God glory by watching the Lakers? Obviously, all Celtics fans would say no, but I'll have to ponder this some more. If you have any ideas, please pass them on.

No comments: