Wednesday, January 30, 2013

#1 - American Sniper

My first book of 2013 was American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History by Chris Kyle. It's the story of a Navy seal who fought in Baghdad, Ramadi and Fallujah. If you like military history, you'll like this book.
Now I am very thankful for our military. They protect our country and our freedom from evil men and women.
  • Romans 13:3 For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; 4 for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
And I fully support this man's service for our country and his work as a sniper. But the interesting thing about this book is that he claimed to be a Christian. He even called on Jesus as his Savior and knew the gospel in its essence. But the book, as most military autobiographies are, was filled with obvious, unrepentant sin - swearing, drinking, lying, fornication, etc. How can this man continually sin and sin and sin with no remorse even but instead almost a hubris and pride of his sin and still call himself a Christian?

Could he be a Christian who has simply not learned any of the Word of God and thus doesn't realize he is no longer a slave of sin and that the Holy Spirit of God lives in him? Or is he one who calls himself a Christian as those did in Matthew 7:22 but will tragically find out on the judgment day that he is not saved?

It's hard to tell because I just read a book and don't know the man personally. I have not talked to him at church or visited him in his home. I have not gone out to lunch with him to talk about his testimony. I have not had him and his family over to my house and talked about spiritual things. I have not taught him the Word, encouraged him in Christ, exhorted him to be holy or rebuked him for his sin.

This is one reason why the local church is so important. God gave us shepherds in the local church to care for our souls. I cannot care for this man's soul, but I am actively caring for the souls of the people at my church. I hope Chris Kyle is part of a church where shepherds do the same for him.

No comments: