Monday, August 15, 2011

Biking

Emery has been dying to ride a 2 wheel bike all summer. Ever since Matt learned to do it earlier this summer, she has kept badgering me. I hesitated because she just turned 5. Both Andrew and Matt did it at 6. But if you ask me 1,000 times, eventually I'll give in.

I went over all the pertinent instructions and let her go at it. Now it looks like she got it on the video. And at the point where the video ends, is where Matt and Andrew kept riding their bikes around the track when they learned. But for some reason, Emery drifted a little closer to the edge of the track and then suddenly, committed bicycle suicide by just turning into the grass and crashing! It surprised me so much that I didn't save her.

Thankfully, she just got a little scrape and went after it again. But the weird thing was that she would ride for a little bit and then suddenly start turning her bike as if to crash again. It was as if she just didn't want to keep going so she thought she had to crash (she had no idea why she was doing this). Fortunately, after the first time, I was prepared and grabbed the bike steady while I'm running beside her every time she started to crash. After a while, it was too nerve racking for the both of us, and we decided to wait until next year when she turns 6! Phew!

No comments: