Friday, July 29, 2011

#16 - Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer

It's been so hot lately that I have had trouble doing much of anything. With 15 of the last 19 days in the 100's and the other 4 days all in the cool 90's, it's been hard to do much of anything outside. Just the other day, the high was 105 with wind in the 20-30 mph. I've never felt such heat before in my life. It was like feeling a hair dryer blowing at you every time you stepped outside.Thankfully, our AC is working great, and I've had the pleasure of reading a marvelous book. I just finished Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson. The book was captivating. I finished it in less than a week. It traces the motivation, planning, implementation, escape and eventual capture of James Booth's assassination of President Lincoln. There were so many primary sources and well written summaries. It was truly fascinating.

I learned so much about Booth. I never knew that he was a famous actor and had such a racist agenda. I didn't know that there were multiple assassination attempts planned simultaneously. I learned a lot mostly because I didn't know much of anything about this crucial chapter in our country's history.

I highly recommend this well written, intriguing and easy to read book if you are at all interested in this subject. It has caught Andrew's attention and he's enjoying read the book too!

No comments: