Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dying Thoughts

No, I'm not depressed and feeling suicidal. But I just finished this book by Richard Baxter. For those of you who don't know, Richard Baxter is a puritan who's most famous book is probably The Reformed Pastor which I have not read. Here's a picture of him.Dying Thoughts is about Phil 1:23 and the desire to leave this life to be with Christ. I have thought about this topic much as Phil 1:21-23 have always been verses dear to my heart. Baxter truly has a heavenly perspective about this world. This book can help you let go of the desires of this temporary life and long for the better joys of heaven with Christ.

This is the 2nd book of Baxter's that I have read and though both are filled with great ideas and thoughts, I have to admit, they are somewhat hard for me to follow. His writing style is not that difficult to read but his thoughts seem very random and not very linear. So in the style of Baxter here are a few random quotes:
  • The life to come depends on this present life...Heaven is won or lost on earth; the possession is there but the preparation is here. Christ will judge all men in another state, as their works have been in this.
  • It is His work for which thou livest. Thou hast no other business in the world...If God will add any more days, serve Him with double alacrity. The prize is almost within sight. Time is swift and short.
  • [In regards to death and the loss of our fleshly body] It is but a separation from a troublesome companion, and putting off a shoe that pinched me...And further to depart from such a body is but to be separated from an accidental enemy, and one of our greatest and most hurtful enemies; not indeed, as the work of our Creator, but as the effect of sin. What could Satan, or any other enemy of our souls, have done against us without our flesh? What is it but the interest of this body that stands in competition with the interest of God and our souls?...What steals away men's hearts from the heavenly pleasures of faith, hope, and love, but the pleasures of this flesh?
  • [In regards to being with Christ] And wilt thou not willing go, when such infinite love calls thee? Art thou not desirous of His presence? Art thou afraid to go to Him, who is the only cure of thy fears?...Not to the riches and honours of this world, or the pleasures of the flesh, but chose thee in Christ to an inheritance in glory? If God chose thee to blessedness, refuse it not thyself, nor behave like a refuser.
  • Without thy glory, earth is but earth; and without Thy grace, earth would be a hell. O, rather deny me the light of the sun, than the light of Thy countenance!...Without Thine and my Saviour's help, I can do nothing. I could not pray or learn without Thee; I never could conquer a temptation without Thee; and can I die, or be prepared to die, without Thee?
  • Hope anticipates salvation, as fear does evil. It is the hypocrite's hope that perishes; and all who hope for durable happiness on earth must be deceived. But 'Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God, which made heaven and earth, which keepeth truth for ever.' Woe to me if in this life only I had hope. But the righteous hath hope in his death. And hope maketh not ashamed. 'Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord and whose hope is in the Lord.'
These are some dying thoughts to live by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not wish to be anonymous. My name is Don Small. I live in Burlington, about 40 miles to the east. I will include my e-mail below. Several FHCC folks work with me, including Barry Brooks and Jeff and Nancy Simmons. We attended your church years ago when it was a typical Independent Christian church. Coming from a Bible Church/Baptist background, we decided not to continue there after checking out the bylaws and statement of faith.
Yes, the years bring change, in FHCC and myself, thus I was pleased to hear that there was a church in the area that had a pastor from the Master's College. We have been a McArthur fan since the late 70's. You were still a mystery until I checked out the church web site, saw your blog and found that your were a fan of Puritan writers. My wife and I have been listening and listening to McArthur's Doctrines of Grace series. That and the wealth of material on Sermonaudio.com keep me busy. I look forward to visiting the church. I feel that the marriage of a non-denominational attitude with reformed ideas will be welcome.

Don Small
dosmall@mchsi.com