Friday, September 12, 2008

Is your soul fat?

I've been reading through Proverbs and came across 2 recently that I've been mulling over:
Proverbs 12:27 A slothful man does not roast his prey, But the precious possession of a man is diligence.

This is a vivid proverb. A slothful man goes hungry with nothing to eat. The lazy man will not enjoy the fruit of his labor. I try and be diligent but is it my precious possession? Is it something I value and prize and cherish?

Proverbs 13:4 The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, But the soul of the diligent is made fat.

Now we get a little more specific in our diligence. Am I being diligent in my study of God's Word? In reading spiritual books, in listening to sermons, in memorizing and meditating on God's truth so that it reaches my soul and changes my heart? If I do, I get a fat soul. Not a fat body, a fat soul. But it starts with making diligence my precious possession.

No comments: