Monday, September 29, 2008

I'm back!

I was only gone 3 days, but it felt like forever! It's so good to be home. How can you not miss being with this?The boys are practicing shaving these days. But I had a great time at the Desiring God conference too. I learned a ton, had a great time, and was really convicted by a lot of things. I think I'll be sharing about the many things over the days and weeks to come, but probably the biggest thing I'm taking home with me came from Mark Driscoll - Pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle.

He was talking about criticism and mentioned Prov 27:6 - faithful are the wounds of a friend. He said that while he always tries to examine himself when he is criticized by anyone to see if there is a kernel of truth even if the criticism is malicious, he really heeds criticism from friends. He defined his friends as those who have love for him and HOPE for him. He gave an example of what John Piper told him - Piper disagreed with some of where Mark used to be, wasn't exactly sure of where Mark was now, but was confident of where Mark will be.

While I love finding friends like that, I want to be that kind of friend to my family and to others. It is far too easy for me to judge others and to point out what is not right. And though I may (or may not) have a kernel of truth in what I say, my heart lacks hope for others for love "hopes all things" (1 Cor 13:7). I want to be husband, father, pastor and friend who corrects others with HOPE in Christ alone. Praise God for His forgiveness and patience with me.

If you want to make the time, I highly encourage you to watch or listen to the messages from the conference at:
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/ConferenceMessages/ByConference/41/
If you want to hear what Mark Driscoll had to say, listen to both the panel discussion on 9/26 and his message on 9/27.

No comments: