Friday, August 29, 2008

Is your heart mortified?

It's been a good summer for reading. By God's grace, I've managed to finish off 3 books that I've been working on for a while now. This last one, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs, is one I highly recommend, especially for anyone with a melancholy streak like me. I have quoted it several times already on this blog, but for something written 400 years ago, it is very readable, has tons of great insight, and surprisingly a lot of great illustrations. Here's one last quote: "Let afflictions and troubles find you with a mortified heart to the world, and they will not break your bones; those whose bones are broken by crosses and afflictions are those who are alive to the world, who are not dead to the world. But no afflictions or troubles will break the bones of one who has a mortified heart and is dead to the world; that is, they will not be very grievous or painful to such a one as is mortified to the world."

1 John 2:15, "Do not love the world nor the things in the world..." Now do I mortify my heart with a shotgun or a knife?

No comments: