Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hudson Taylor

I just finished Hudson Taylor's autobiography. And while it wasn't the most comprehensive summary of his life and ministry (it's only 159 pages), I do recommend it. It gives a glimpse into the life of a man who had incredible faith, prayed as if his life depended on it, and had amazing devotion and compassion for those who were lost without Christ. It had lots of great stories of God's provision, and it didn't hurt that it's an easy read too. Here are a couple of snippets.

In speaking of a time soon after his conversion experience, he writes, "How in the gladness of my heart I poured out my soul before God; and again and again confessing my grateful love to Him who had done everything for me...Well do I remember, as in unreserved consecration I put myself, my life, my friends, my all, upon the altar, the deep solemnity that came over my soul with the assurance that my offering was accepted.

The presence of God became unutterably real and blessed; and though but a child under 16, I remember stretching myself on the ground, and lying there silent before Him with unspeakable awe and unspeakable joy."

Taylor also talks about his philosophy of not collecting an offering after his missions presentations on China. He writes, "My wish was, not that those present should be relieved by making such contribution as might there and then be convenient, under the influence of a present emotion; but that each one should go home burdened with the deep need of China, and ask of God what He would have them do.

If, after thought and prayer, they were satisfied that a pecuniary contribution was what He wanted of them, it could be given to any missionary society having agents in China...but that perhaps in many cases what God wanted was not money contribution, but personal consecration to His service abroad; or the giving up of son or daughter - more precious than gold or silver - to His service.

I added that I thought the tendency of a collection was to leave the impression that the all-important thing was money, whereas no amount of money could convert a single soul; that what was needed was that men and women filled with the Holy Ghost should give themselves to the work: for the support of such there would never be a lack of funds."

No comments: