Sunday, July 27, 2008

What do you boast about?

It is tempting for me as the husband of a beautiful wife, 2 funny boys, and a cutie pie baby girl to boast about my family. They are all precious to me.
But Gal 6:14 says, "But may it never be that I should boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." How easy it is to boast about God's wonderful blessings in this life, making more of the blessings than the Giver of those blessings.

It is easy for a proud man like myself to find something other than God to boast about. But Jeremiah 9:23-24 says, "Thus says the LORD, 'Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; 24 but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice, and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things.'" How much more incredible is it that the wrath of God was poured out on Christ for a proud and wretched sinner like me so that I might understand and know the Almighty God of the universe for eternity. Isn't that amazing and humbling? God is so good and worthy of boasting about.

No comments: