Thursday, July 24, 2008

Random observations

It has been 1 month to the day since I came to Emporia. For those of you who don't live here, I thought I'd describe some of the unique things I've noticed.
  • No gun signs posted in many government buildings and banks. Though I noticed that the gun store didn't have this sign posted.
  • So far, it has rained 1-2 times a week since I've been here, and they have been significant rains sometimes 2-3 inches. I think it has rained more in this month here than all of this past year in LA.
  • Tornado siren testing goes off every Wed at 10am. They went off for an actual tornado once too. Sandy thought there were a lot of fire engines going by.
  • How many times can we go to Wal Mart in 1 month? I think we're setting the record as we had been going there every day though now we've tapered down to every other day.
  • But the strange thing is how empty Wal Mart is and it's the most crowded place in town I think. I never have to wait in line with more than 1 person ahead of me. And when I go to other stores in town, there is rarely more than 1-2 other customers. I feel like there's something going on somewhere else and no one told me about it.
  • This is the friendliest place I've ever lived. Who hasn't said hi to me?
  • When will the wind stop blowing? There is a constant breeze.
And one funny story from Andrew. After taking a shower before bed, he says, "An iceball melted in my ear!" It turns out that he had some water stuck in his ear.

1 comment:

The AB club said...

aaahhh, sounds like home to me