Monday, March 30, 2009

Humility

I just finished reading Humility by CJ Mahaney for about the 4th time. I wish I could say that I have figured out how to be humble. But every time I read the book, I realize how proud I am. Here are a few humbling quotes:
  • Those who know true joy in the midst of suffering are those who recognize that, in this life, our suffering is never as great or as serious as our sins. As Jonathan Edwards wrote, "How far less [are] the greatest afflictions that we meet with in this world...than we have deserved!" That's a divine perspective on suffering. Regardless of the severity of suffering we experience in this life, it will always be less than what we have deserved for our sin.
  • "There is only one thing I know that crushes me to the ground and humiliates me to the dust, and that is to look at the Son of God, and especially contemplate the cross...Nothing but the cross can give us the spirit of humility." Martin Lloyd-Jones
  • "Every time we look at the cross Christ seems to be saying to us, 'I am here because of you. It is your sin I am bearing, your curse I am suffering, your debt I am paying, your death I am dying.' Nothing in history or in the universe cuts us down to size like the cross. All of us have inflated views of ourselves, especially in self-righteousness, until we have visited a place called Calvary. It is there, at the foot of the cross, that we shrink to our true size." John Stott

May the Cross cut me down by His grace. The cross before me, the world behind me...

No comments: