Thursday, May 29, 2008

Why Kansas?

The first question we usually hear when we tell people that we're moving is - Why Kansas? Not that there's anything wrong with Kansas. But to Californians who are not originally from the Midwest, the idea of moving to Kansas seems a bit odd. And to Korean American Californians, that idea is probably inconceivable. So I thought it would be very appropriate to post this first blog to start answering that question.

Now while there are plenty of advantages to moving to Kansas including owning a backyard (this is the view from our house to our backyard) along with a house, no traffic, clean air, etc., the main reason could be best captured in the words of missionary David Brainerd, "Oh, that I might be a flaming fire in the service of the Lord. Here I am, Lord, send me; send me to the ends of the earth...send me from all that is called earthly comfort; send me even to death itself if it be but in Thy service and to promote Thy Kingdom." (Not that Kansas is the ends of the earth, but by some peoples' reactions, you'd think it was!)
-
God has chosen to send us to Kansas but not because we are worth sending. In the words of pastor John Piper, "I am not great. But you, Lord, are very great. And in your astonishing sovereignty you can let my little life make a difference far beyond all my little powers...O Lord, let me make a difference for you utterly disproportionate to who I am." That is my prayer, my hope, and the #1 reason we are going to Kansas.

1 comment:

ohelen said...

I will miss seeing you guys, even though I haven't seen you much this past year, but knowing will be so far away is kinda sad. However, your pics & blogs are great. I love Andrew's sayings! Also, I am so excited for you guys to see what God has in store for you in Kansas! I'm sure it will be amazing for He is faithful and good.